OSCE Academy in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan, in cooperation with the Norwegian Institute of International Affairs (NUPI),
Call for Applications for Post-Doc Researcher full time position
Application Deadline: October 2, 2019, 5:00 PM Bishkek time
The OSCE Academy in Bishkek is a public foundation, established in 2002 by the Kyrgyz Government and the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE). The OSCE Academy promotes the principles and values of the OSCE through post-graduate education, professional training, research and intellectual exchange. Its demanding MA Programmes in the fields of “Economic Governance and Development” and “Politics and Security (Central Asia)” on a highly competitive basis enroll a total of up to 60 young professionals per year, from Afghanistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Mongolia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan. The Academy also hosts several Associate Research Fellows, publishes articles, policy briefs, and research papers on questions relevant to the Academy’s mission, and continuously seeks to strengthen its research capacity.
The OSCE Academy in cooperation with the Norwegian Institute of International Affairs (NUPI) now invites applications for 2 full-time post-doc positions.
The aim of the scholarships is to boost the research capacity and research output of the OSCE Academy. However, the scholarship holders are also expected to take part in ongoing events and activities at the Academy. The tasks are as follows:
• Publication of 3 articles per year by each post-doc, in peer-reviewed academic journals
• Submission of 1 research grant proposal to a relevant funding institution per year by each post-doc
• Supervision of 1-3 theses for the Academy’s MA programmes by each post-doc
• Assisting the admissions process at the Academy
• Minor teaching assignments at the Academy
• A PhD in political science, international relations, sociology, economics or a related field is required
• The PhD thesis must have been submitted by the time of application for the post-doc position
• Excellent knowledge of English is required
• Effective interpersonal and communication skills are required
• Willingness to cooperate with colleagues at the Academy and NUPI is required
• A track record of producing academic publications is an advantage
• There are no limitations on the nationality of applicants
Terms of reference
• The duration of the positions is 2 years, from Jan. 2020 to Dec. 2021 inclusive
• The post-docs will live in Bishkek and have the OSCE Academy as their workplace but will be supervised by and cooperate closely with the OSCE Academy’s partner institution NUPI. The contact person at NUPI is Dr. Indra Overland, who can also be contacted for information about this call: [email protected]
• The post-docs should work on energy, natural resource management, climate change, geopolitics, the belt and road initiative or similar topics.
The OSCE Academy will provide/cover
• Scholarship of 3500 EUR per post-doc per month (gross sum subject to tax and social fee deduction)
• Visa and work permit support (if necessary)
• Office space and computer, as well as access to all facilities of the OSCE Academy
• Funds to cover open access fees for most of the post-docs’ publications
• Additional funds for a mobility and equipment package in the amount of 9000 EUR per post-doc per year
• Funding for a research assistant (optional)
• NOTE: The Academy will not cover transport, accommodation, health insurance and expenses of family members. The Academy will, however, assist with all issues related to travelling to Bishkek and finding housing in the city.
Applicants should submit the following documents
• An application letter of 0.5–1 page
• 4-6 titles of possible articles to write during the post-doc period (these are only preliminary and may be further developed or changed in consultation with the Academy and NUPI later on).
Further details will be requested from selected applicants at a later stage of the application process.
The whole application should be submitted as a single file in PDF format attached to an email with the subject line “Post-Doc Researcher” by 2 Oct. 2019, 5:00 pm Bishkek time to [email protected]
Only selected candidates will be notified about further selection procedures.
The OSCE Academy in Bishkek is an equal-opportunity institution. It operates on the principle of non-discrimination. All recruitment decisions are taken on the basis of best qualification of the candidates, taking into consideration regional and gender balance.